Project Insight - Water and Sewage Construction Projects: Europe
GlobalData’s Construction Intelligence Center (CIC) is currently tracking water and sewage construction projects in Europe with a total value of US$35.0 billion. Of this, US$19.3 billion is in the execution stage and US$10.5 billion is in the planning stage. The UK accounts for the highest value with US$12.0 billion, followed by the France with projects valuing US$6.0 billion. The Netherlands and Ireland follow with projects with values of US$3.3 billion and US$2.3 billion respectively. The highest value project in Europe is the US$5.6 billion Thames Tideway Tunnel, in the UK.
The European water and infrastructure market is mature compared with the developing regions of Asia-Pacific and the Middle East and Africa. Seasonal water shortages are still encountered in southern Europe, creating supply rationing. European utilities are planning to invest over US$526 billion in water and wastewater infrastructure between 2016 and 2025, according to recent forecasts. The European Federation of National Associations of Water Services (EurEau) estimates that total turnover of the water sector (collection, treatment, supply and sewerage) reached EUR82 billion - i.e. 0.5% of the total EU28 countries GDP in 2016. Segments of the EU’s 7 million km of pipes have been in operation for over 100 years, and are urgently in need of investment. The EurEau estimates that there would need to be a doubling of the sector’s annual investment of EUR45 (US$50) billion in order to modernize the EU’s water infrastructure, protect health and the environment and reduce overall costs.
- The total pipeline of projects is valued at US$35.0 billion with US$3.7 billion being spent in 2019 and US$5.1 billion in 2020.
- The highest value of projects are at the execution stage with a total value of US$19.3 billion, followed by projects in planning with US$10.5 billion.
- Projects in the pre-execution stage amount to US$4.1 billion, while those at the pre-planning stage total US$1.2 billion.
- Assuming all projects in the current pipeline proceed as planned, spending will reach US$4.5 billion in 2021 and fall to US$2.5 billion in 2023. The highest value of project completions will be in 2022, with a value of US$5.6 billion.
- Other water and sewage infrastructure projects account for the highest value with US$11.4 billion.
- The top contractors in the region are Vinci SA based in France and BAM Group based in the Netherlands. The top consulting engineers are OTB Engineering based in the UK and CLAFIS Ingenieus based in the Netherlands.
- The report provides analysis based on CIC projects showing total project values for Europe and analysis by stage and funding for the top ten countries. The top 50 projects are listed for the region giving country, stage, value of water and sewage construction.
- Ranked listings of the key operators for the sector are also provided showing the leading contractors, consulting engineers and project owners. Country profiles are provided for the top 10 countries including, the UK, France, and the Netherlands.
Reasons to buy
- Gain insight into the development of the water and sewage construction sector.
- Assess all major projects by value, start date, scope and stage of development for the region and top 10 countries to support business development activities.
- Plan campaigns by country based on specific project opportunities and align resources to the most attractive markets.