Cigarettes in Armenia, 2019
The Republic of Armenia became an independent republic in September 1991. However, following the withdrawal of Soviet troops, a war erupted between Armenia and Azerbaijan over the long-disputed territory of Nagorno-Karabakh, a primarily Armenian-populated enclave, assigned to Soviet Azerbaijan by Moscow in the 1920s. A ceasefire was brokered by Russia in 1994, but the dispute has not been properly resolved and the economies of both countries have been affected by the inability to progress towards a peaceful resolution. Armenia was shattered by a devastating earthquake in 1998 and, whilst the country has been relatively stable politically, a terrorist attack on parliament in 1999 left the prime minister and the speaker dead.
Cigarettes in Armenia, 2019 is an analytical report by GlobalData that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Armenian tobacco market. It covers market size and structure along with per capita and overall consumption. Additionally, it focuses on brand data, retail pricing, prospects, and forecasts for sales and consumption until 2028.
- During recent years, Armenia has benefited from strong economic growth. Real GDP grew between 13% and 14% a year between 2006 and 2007.
- Armenia is taking a proactive approach towards the regulation of the tobacco sector. As part of Armenia's commitment to the WHO's Framework Convention on Tobacco Control, a complete ban on tobacco promotion is expected soon with this already a feature in the capital, Yerevan.
- On the basis of legitimate trade and the total population, per capita consumption averaged 1,447 pieces/year in 2017; 2.2% up on 1990 levels.
- Armenia's former state-owned cigarette manufacturer, ArmTabak, had produced some 10 billion cigarettes back in 1989, but by 1996 was manufacturing only 150 million cigarettes annually.
Reasons to buy
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market. Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market. This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes - prime intelligence for marketers. Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.