Cloud Scorecard - Thematic Research
The cloud market is currently dominated by the five biggest providers, which account for around 70% of total revenues (with Amazon alone enjoying more than 30% of the pie).
The massive capital cost associated with developing the scale needed to present an economically viable alternative to the established players makes it very difficult for smaller vendors to unseat the current leaders.
As with other sectors, the Chinese vendors represent a wildcard. Alibaba has already secured a place for itself at the top table, and is expanding globally at a fast pace. The combination of a large domestic market and access to capital means that cloud is another sector where Chinese vendors could prove very disruptive.
Our thematic scoring methodology is designed to identify tomorrow’s leaders rather than today’s incumbents, based on their competitive position in the most important themes impacting their industry.
To do this, we score the top 600 TMT companies against 60 investment themes, creating a database of 36,000 thematic scores - our thematic engine - to help us identify the strongest and weakest players in each sector over the next two years, once all relevant themes have been taken into account.
- This report is a sector scorecard, which identifies those companies most likely to succeed in a world filled with disruptive threats. Inside, we predict how each theme will evolve and who the leading and lagging companies are.
- It includes a theme map that shows the 60 biggest themes driving growth in the tech, media and telecom sectors.
- It explains how some of the largest listed players in the sector have performed over the last four years.
- It looks at major technology, macro-economic, and regulatory themes impacting cloud vendors.
Reasons to buy
- Companies who invest in the right themes become success stories; those who miss the big themes end up as failures.
- Corporate executives and investors who want to outperform their competitors need to understand all the themes that impact their sector.
- However, many of these themes are, by definition, outside of the core competencies of company boardrooms because they typically originate from external industries.
- This Cloud Scorecard provides a top-down, comprehensive outlook for the key players in the cloud industry over the next two years, based on the key themes set to transform their industry landscape.