Cigarettes in Ghana, 2019
Per capita consumption of cigarettes in Ghana is extremely low at only 48 pieces in 2017. Nevertheless, the market has considerable potential despite a collapse in the economy in 1999 that resulted in major difficulties, which have recently been overcome. Real GDP growth has been boosted in recent years by high prices for gold and cocoa, as well as the start of oil production in 2001. Ghana also has one of the more stable democracies in Africa. However, contraband is notable, with estimates giving it 10% of sales. Legitimate sales in 2017 were estimated at 1.3 billion pieces, down 20.2% on 1990 levels, with the performance of the economy and contraband the main reasons for this sluggish performance.
Cigarettes in Ghana, 2019 is an analytical report by GlobalData that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Ghanaian tobacco market. It covers market size and structure along with per capita and overall consumption. Additionally, it focuses on brand data, retail pricing, prospects, and forecasts for sales and consumption until 2028.
- Moves to restrict tobacco consumption are being introduced and appear to be having an impact on the market. The passage of Tobacco Control Regulations 2016 in January 2017 established on-pack graphic health warnings by July 2018.
- Cigarette sales have fluctuated since the 1990s. In the early part of the decade, volume increased on the back of economic growth of 3-5% per annum, peaking at 1.7 billion pieces in 1992.
- Filter cigarettes dominate the market. They were estimated to account for 99.4% of duty-paid sales in 2017.
- The market is dominated by one company, British American Tobacco (BAT) Ghana Ltd, which was formed from the merger of Pioneer Tobacco and Meridian Tobacco in 1999.
Reasons to buy
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market. Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market. This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes - prime intelligence for marketers. Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.