Cigarettes in Ethiopia, 2019
Cigarette volumes stood at 7.4 billion pieces in 2017. Although this equates to an increase of nearly 229% on 1990 levels of per capita consumption, it remains very low even by African standards, at only 71 pieces per person in 2017, 47.9% ahead of levels in 1990. Until recently, cigarette production was low, having been badly affected by events during the 1990s. Volumes subsequently grew to 6.2 billion pieces in 2011 and were an estimated 7.5 billion pieces in 2016. Legitimate imports are believed to have been adversely affected by this expansion in local production, but were down at 225 million pieces in 2016. Exports are small.
Cigarettes in Ethiopia, 2019 is an analytical report by GlobalData that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Ethiopia tobacco market. It covers market size and structure along with per capita and overall consumption. Additionally, it focuses on brand data, retail pricing, prospects, and forecasts for sales and consumption until 2028.
- Despite tobacco use being widespread through the use of khat, smoking is limited, depressed by incomes, and is among the lowest in the world. Recent data suggests that only 8.9% of males aged 15-49 were smokers.
- One manufacturer dominates: National Tobacco Enterprise (Ethiopia) Share Company. Formerly wholly state-owned, National Tobacco Enterprise (NTE) was recently acquired by the multinational JTI.
- Contraband enters the country from Djibouti and via the border with Somalia in the southeast. As part of efforts to combat smuggling, all cigarettes imported into Ethiopia must be marked with a National Tobacco seal.
- The Ethiopian cigarette market has suffered from fluctuating fortunes since 1990, although current trends have shown strong expansion as improvements in supply are made by Ethiopia's only manufacturer, National Tobacco.
Reasons to buy
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market. Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market. This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes - prime intelligence for marketers. Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.